Saturday, February 28, 2009

二二八

Since it was my first time in Taiwan on 2/28, and likely will be my only time in Taiwan on this day, I decided to make a trip to the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall / National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall, as well as the 228 Peace Park. I wish I had really gotten up earlier as I believe I missed seeing a sit-in outside of the " ?? " Memorial Hall, in the shape of 228.

Anyways, I made it out to the " ?? " Memorial Hall just before 4:00PM, so I had missed a substantial part of the events. I believe the event that I saw when I got there started at 2:28PM and was to end at 4:30PM. There was an orchestra playing for the event, called "Concert for 228 Justice & Peace." It was overall quite an upbeat atmosphere, and I had an easy time making conversation with random people due to my ability to only speak Taiwanese and English. Here comes the pictures!


Entering the many-names Memorial Hall


The main stage of today's events in the middle of Liberty Square. Aligned on the sides of the stage (the white/green tents), you can see vendors selling various merchandise (books, t-shirts, hats, random items) that in general, is pro DPP, pro Taiwan, or anti-Ma.


This stand (with the flags on it), was handing out World Taiwanese Congress flags to wave, as well as "Taiwan water" and some pins that say 護台灣 (protect Taiwan). After conversing with the lady at this stand for a bit after getting a flag, I was given the location of a cafe where apparently a lot of pro-Taiwan people go to just leisure and hang-out. Located in Shi-da... I will find a time to check it out, apparently Freddy (the Taiwan Freddy) frequents that place, along with one of A-bian's old cabinet member or some ranking official?


Cleaning up the stage... at this point it was well past 4:30PM, probably a quarter past 5:00PM.


On my way out of the " ?? " Memorial Hall, decided to snap a picture with the flag.


Now at the 228 Memorial Park, almost night fall, and the people were cleaning up the stage just behind the monument seen here.


Writings, can't read/understand all of it- but I'm pretty sure it is about what 228 is.


A lady just finished paying respects to her ancestors (I assume).


Looking down the interesting waterfall-like well inside the monument.


Another angle of the monument.


The pathway into the center of the monument. For some reason, I felt like the pathway wasn't very stable-- I felt like I was going to fall into the water or mis-step.


A local Taiwanese girl reads the writings.


The National Taiwan Museum, which was closed by the time I got there. I guess another time will have to do.

It was a meaningful day... it definitely gave me a strong desire to support Taiwan. One of the people I talked to who was also giving out DPP flags (and wanted me to take a bunch of them to give to my friends) consistenly said that we need to let others know about Taiwan, and what our situation is. As long as we do not give up, she says, Taiwan will have a future. We must never forget this day.

And as Taiwanese, how pitiful are we if we do not know the history behind this day. It was sort of sad to hear some of my friends who aren't Taiwanese, know nothing about what happened during those years of White Terror, and what happened on 228 and the ensuing massacres and suppresion of the local Taiwanese. Everyone knows about the Holcaust and Hitler, and we must also remember that. But now, in Taiwan, where the liklihood of something like this occuring once more is much higher than that in Europe, is it not more important for people to know what happened in Taiwan? I spent the day visiting various 228 events, and was given the chance to briefly explain what 228 is about to a few people-- and, not so much a sense of accomplishment that I feel, rather, simply a sense of obligation to let people know what happened.

Let us not forget Taiwan's Holocaust.

No comments: